I thought it important to recognize a couple of things from a personal viewpoint relating to violence and in particular to the violence that has been going on recently.
It is not an arguable fact that people have been killed by protesters. There is an innocent civilian on life support after being caught in a protest and being shot in the head. Civilians have been killed, police officers have been killed... all at "peaceful" protests/riots. No matter how you feel about riots or whether or not they were the legitimate product of peaceful protests is not the point.
Legitimate or not, violence can and has often broken out at these black lives matter protests. My simple guiding principle is that I would avoid conflict by any reasonable means. I would not knowingly go to a protest area because of the risks associated with it. But what if I was just driving down the street and happened to come up on a protest mob? I'd try to go around, or reverse course and leave it alone. But what if it was too late? What if I couldn't turn around or got blocked in by some other numbskull? I would be perfectly fine until I saw evidence that I was at risk of death or severe bodily harm.
All until they started to indicate they would harm me or people in my car... and this includes smashing windows. I use the legal principle of grave or severe bodily harm. Because I may take actions that may cause severe bodily harm or death and I must and can only respond with corresponding force to stop the threat. The legal definition of severe bodily harm includes injuries that have a substantial risk of causing permanent disfigurement, or loss of function of parts of the body. So someone coming by and smashing my car windows puts me at risk of severe bodily harm from glass fragments entering my eye and blinding me. I also don't know intent. Are they smashing my window because they are just angry? or do they intend to do more and assault me? I don't know and will not gamble with my life like that. And I will especially not gamble with the lives of my children.
If I get caught in a protest (or any other equally dangerous situation) and I have reason to believe there is possibility of significant bodily harm to myself, my children or anyone else I am obligated to protect; I will do whatever is necessary to stop that threat. And I do mean anything. I will drive, I will shoot, I will bludgeon, I will rip throats out with my teeth if need be. I have a moral, ethical, and arguably, legal obligation to do so.
What about the innocent people who might be hurt or killed if I drive through crowd of people? It's simple: When you go to a protest, you should be aware that violence can occur and you accept that risk when you go out there. Now, if you stay on the sidewalk, don't engage in illegal activity (blocking a street is illegal without a permit), you are much more likely to be safe. If I have to choose whether to severely injure someone else or risk my daughter loosing her sight from flying glass... you better believe I will make bodies until the threat is gone. There is a phrase among people like me that pretty well explains the sentiment: "Don't make the mistake of putting me in a situation where I have to show you how heartless I can be." It's very simple.... don't make me believe you will harm me or mine and I will not harm you. But people like to dance on that line... they like to play with fire and court disaster. They like to poke dragons then complain when they get bit.
People like me are often the last to choose a violent response because we know more than most the price of violence and the gravity of it's use. It takes a lot to provoke to that point but when the tipping point is reached, action is decisive, vicious, and brutal. We don't play with violence like those yahoo's in black.
I know that makes me sound like a monster, but it's a way of life for me. And I pay a price for it every day in exchange for the willingness and ability to ensure my family's safety. I cannot live with knowing my inaction allowed someone I love that much to suffer or die. I will be the last person to start a fight but I damn sure will be first to finish it.
No comments:
Post a Comment